In a recent survey it was reported that 54% of workers are experiencing high levels of stress in the workplace. Employee stress levels have been steadily increasing in the past few years. These high levels of stress are impacting employees’ physical and mental well-being, while decreasing job satisfaction and quality of life. It is having a significant effect on corporate culture and profits. These findings were not surprising to the leaders of the corporate world.
There is a new simple and innovative solution that is assisting employees to find work/life balance. It is helping these employees remain engaged and productive while increasing professional and personal fulfillment.
The process starts with the 7F’s. Each F represents one of the 7 key areas in life that employees struggle to balance each day; Fitness, Finance, Family, Field, Faith, Friends and Fun. The objective is to assist each employee in identifying the imbalances in their life within the 7F’s that are leading to the increase in stress levels, anxiety, fear and unhappiness.
Research has found when people are actively engaged in writing goals and specific action steps that align with their big dreams for their life, they become more productive. The importance of this life changing exercise results in a purpose driven life.
Imagine how an employee would feel when they have a specific plan in each of the F’s? Lets examine each of the 7F’s.
- Fitness: Most people want to experience better fitness, but unfortunately they may lack the knowledge and/or motivation. Writing simple and attainable fitness goals that lead to small wins, builds momentum to achieving more energy and better over health.
- Finance: One of the greatest stressors people face is finance. Most people lack a financial plan to manage expenses, eliminate debt and save for a secure retirement. Without a plan financial freedom remains elusive. A sound financial plan is essential to create a secure future.
- Family: Family helps us review the most important relationships we will ever have. The focus is on building and developing deep and satisfying relationships with spouses, significant others, children and parents. A stable home life leads to a more stable and satisfying work life.
- Field: Field represents ones professional endeavor. Motivation increases when employees feel that their work has a purpose. Employees can find purpose in their job if they are challenged to grow and acknowledged for a job well done. Establishing meaningful work goals are essential for employee satisfaction.
- Faith: When we think of faith most people think of religion. For some that maybe so, however, faith is also about finding a purpose with our life’s work or in something bigger than ourselves. This important step grounds us when facing life’s inevitable challenges.
- Friends: In a world that is dominated by social media people can find themselves having many connections, but few friends. When we apply this F, the goal setting process helps identify the relationships that need nurturing and the connections that need to be deleted. Eliminating toxic relationships is a must. Very few people take inventory of the relationships in their life.
- Fun: For some fun comes easy. For others it needs to be planned. It sounds odd, but for those who don’t take time to relax and do things that bring them joy, it creates tremendous stress. To have a healthy and balanced life, fun is an essential ingredient.
Achieving our best life is truly a balancing act. Like a circus performer who is spinning plates, if we ignore any of the plates (7F’s) eventually it all comes crashing down.
Using the 7F’s allows employees to identify what plate or plates are wobbling out of control. This process provides each employee insight to help identify their dreams. Once those dreams are revealed they will begin to map a detail plan that provides the appropriate action steps based on a timeline to achieve their best life.